-
June 26th, 2008, 10:48 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
A while back, I mentioned a project Altec did for Acoustic guitar amps. It was a guitar speaker based on the University M-12A.
No one seemed familiar, and I didn't remember all the details. But if anybody is curious- one is posted to Fleabay. A rare bird indeed, I doubt more than a couple hundred of these were made.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ACOUSTIC...QQcmdZViewItem
Sorry haven't been around much lately, dealing with some medical issues. Back in a while.
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 26, 2008 07:48 PM: Message edited by: O G ]</font>
-
June 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
I have a pair of University Mustangs that use the same frame with a co-axial arrangement. If it's visible in the pics, the cones seem to have the same numbers and the logo on the back labels is the same as the imprint on the dust cap of the Ebay speakers.
see links:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...stangfront.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...ustangback.jpg
-
June 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Good to see ya here OG.
That frame, while not the same, reminds me of the Soundcraftsmen units they built.
-
June 27th, 2008, 12:10 AM
#4
Inactive Member
O.G.,
I was wonderin' were you were. I hope that your gettin' better. I'm new here but missed your input. You should use those mustangs as surround speakers. Got a stray 19 or parts to make one for a center channel ? Run it buy the redhead. Good music makes everyone heal faster.
-
June 27th, 2008, 12:28 AM
#5
Inactive Member
The surround looks like a JBL D-120.
-
June 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Isn't a 417 alnico the equivalent of a D-120 ? I've never even owned not one piece of JBL equipment. Tell me, whats it like ?
-
June 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by O G:
Sorry haven't been around much lately, dealing with some medical issues. Back in a while.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually we were sort of enjoying the break
...... Okay I'm kidding. I appreciate your straight forward input on each topic.
..... Hoping your medical issues are no more serious than a stubbed toe.
-
June 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Originally posted by 866239:
Isn't a 417 alnico the equivalent of a D-120 ?...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nuh-uh. Mucho different, both in construction and tone. The D-120 is a shallow angle curvilinear cone with a stiffer paper surround, overhung 4" coil, and impedance often half the label value. More coloration than a 417, an early Allman Brothers staple.
Get well soon O G. The natives are getting restless, and I'm a bit nervous about all those veggies they're simmering with no meat...
-
June 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Get well soon OG. Too bad we are miles appart or we could recoop together.
Blew my R knee out, had the surgery and am sitting here packed in ice and pleasantly anestitized.
Just POed all these vintage units don't have remote controls.
Gary
-
June 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Belated thanks for all the good wishes guys. I was just here for a second the other day and didn't get a chance to read all the replies.
Nothing life threatening or anything, just a big hassle. Not feeling good wastes a lot of time. And frankly, one is never sure how much of that you have left.
Be back annoying everyone soon.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks